- Views 1168
Title: Retail Store Sales Associate
Reports to: Assistant Retail Store Manager and Store Manager
Based at: Way to Grow Retail Store
Sales Associates are to maintain, contribute to and exceed quality customer service standards every day. This is primarily accomplished by understanding and addressing customers’ needs accurately and guiding them to improve upon their desired projects while increasing sales and improving profits. A solid knowledge base of our products and their uses is required. Progression and banding from entry level to advanced will be based on sales and product knowledge and time spent working in the position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
General Store Duties
- Greeting every customer that comes through the door and ensuring they feel welcome.
- Assisting the sales manager in opening and closing procedures including counting drawers and ensuring they have the proper change for the sales day.
- Stocking shelves; demonstrating a keen awareness of store organization and product placement in order to highlight certain products.
- Demonstrating and maintaining a very high standard of product presentation and rational organization (Individual understands changing a whole shelf or rack layout in order to accommodate a new product as opposed to it being squeezed in).
- Maintaining a clean and presentable store free of debris inside and out.
- Ensure safe working area at all times, reporting and issues or potential issues to Store Manager.
- Exhibiting strong communication skills and clearly communicates with all customers and employees including other stores; practicing empathy in both circumstances.
- Creating and maintaining a high morale environment resulting in a better working and shopping environment for all.
- Increasing knowledge by sharing with other associates, help mentor new employees as needed.
- Arriving at work before shift start dressed appropriately and in a clear state of mind.
- Being fluent in the language of indoor gardening, while constantly improving knowledge of new practices and ideas.
- Staying ahead of the public in regards to new and upcoming products.
- Relay customer needs, requests and concerns to the floor sales manager who will ensure they get addressed.
- Informing the customers of all potential options and educating them regarding unique points of each product and why one might be superior to another.
- Ensuring customers know about additional or higher quality items that they may not realize exist.
- Load customer’s orders and ensure all items are received by conducting a line by line receipt check; have the customer sign the receipt as well as yourself.
- All customers are given accurate information, genuinely interested conversation and the customer service they receive meets or exceeds Way to Grow standards.
- Ensuring every customer leaves a Way to Grow Store feeling like a VIP by applying a “customer first” approach in every interaction.
- Listening intently and empathetically to the customer’s specific needs; understand their final goal and work with them to get there fast.
- Treating phone calls with equal importance as face-to-face customer interaction.
- Develop and maintain genuine customer relationships ensuring a friendly face to welcome repeat business.
- All items are accurately rung up at the register with attention to detail being the primary focus; not speed.
- Ensuring every transaction is done properly on two levels
- As this position will evolve with the Company, additional duties and tasks may be assigned periodically on a short term or on a permanent basis.
Required Core Competencies Necessary to Fulfill Position
- Customer Service – Effectively manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed. Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Motivation – Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated, approved risks to accomplish goals.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Dependability – Is consistently at work on time and fit for duty; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time. Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals (Though does not accrue unnecessary or unapproved overtime); Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Language Skills – Has the ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, memos’ and the ability to write simple correspondence. Must be able to effectively present information one-on-one and in small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Reasoning – Has the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form; and deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Required Qualifications Necessary to Fulfill Position
- Education: This position required a high School diploma or equivalent plus 2 years of college courses or 2 years of retail experience or a combination of the two. Secondary language knowledge is a plus.
- Physical Demands: The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to occasionally loud.
To successfully perform this job, Core Competencies and Requisite Qualifications must be met and all Essential Duties and Responsibilities identified satisfactorily performed. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.